Community School may also serve Kings County students who are expelled from their school of residence, but not sent to the Juvenile Center. Students are eligible to enter Community School when ordered by the court, or when all three of the following activities have been completed:
- Expulsion from the school of residence has occured.
- The student has been referred by the school of residence.
- The student has been referred by the Probation Department.
Once placed in Community School the major goal established for each student is successful transition back to the district of residence.
Alternative Programs were created to provide appropriate educational services to students who might not otherwise be able to attend school.
- Our students are challenged by physical, emotional, learning, and/or behavioral impediments.
- We believe that every student has a right to an education in an environment where he or she can reach full potential.
- We provide a means for students to return to their home school districts (on target for graduation) or to graduate from the Alternative Schools Program.
Our students will become confident, responsible, and respected citizens who achieve personal and academic success, and become productive members of the community.
Our students will:
- Acquire structure and discipline
- Learn the importance of strong ethics and good character
- Understand the relevancy of education
- Become more confident
- Develop problem solving abilities and basic life skills
- Set goals and plan for the future
- Strong emphasis upon character and ethics
- Community Service
- ROP Career Advisors
- Career Awareness/Job Skills Class
- Metal Detector
- Surveillance Cameras
- Dress Code